Create setup files for your application using a technology similar Windows Installer XML platform with this simple and straightforward application
WiXAware is an IDE designed to help you create MSI setup packages for .NET, Windows and web application using the WiX platform without too much hassle.
Quick setup and user-friendly interface
While the installation is a fast and straightforward process, it is important to note that you need to add a dedicated password to continue with the setup. As indicated in the installer, you find out the passkey from the developer’s website – which is “Bariloche” without the quotes – or you can enter a valid email address to continue.
Upon launch, you come face to face with a well-structures and intuitive interface that is unlikely to give you any troubles. You can commence a new setup or you can load the file you have been working on so far. The program allows you to create installation packages, merge modules, fragments, patches and language packs.
Enables you to customize the installer file
The idea behind the program is to allow you to create a file that includes multiple custom actions that are well-tested and standardized. Therefore, you can specify the desired module information, components, fragments, isolated components, exclusions, configurations, localization, substitutions or the modularizations to be ignored, for instance.
The application provides you with a flexible environment where you can add any feature, parameters and other settings you want your installer to feature. Consequentially, you can set additional install actions, including, but not limited to paths, COM or COM+ registration, file associations, NT services, ODBC resources, INI, XML, environment variables, publish components, users and groups or the assemblies.
Depending on the type of application you are developing, you can further customize the server configuration, custom actions, dependencies, property management and data storage.
A tool that enables you to create MSI setup packages seamlessly
In the eventuality that you want to deploy an installer that features Microsoft’s standard technology, while still being able to customize it to meet your needs and requirements, then perhaps WiXAware could come in handy.
- NET FRAMEWORK 1.1
- Internet connection to request a password
- 32 MB RAM
LIMITATIONS IN THE UNREGISTERED VERSION
- 30 days trial
- Nag screen on program start
- WiXAware makes MSI creation effortless:
- The WiXAware software installer simplifies the task of building Windows Installer packages by providing a simple, XML based high level description of the underlying complexity of Windows Installer. This description is based on WiX, and helps WiXAware observe all Windows Installer authoring rules and comply with setup best practices.
- WiXAware offers a simple, intuitive interface that dramatically accelerates the process of building a Windows Installer package. Use the visual designers and they automatically generate WiX code for you. Or, use the XML editor and directly edit the underlying WiX code. Switch between the two freely for the ultimate productivity.
- WiXAware integrates with automated build tools and version control:
- Because WiX projects are plain text XML files, they can easily be checked into version control, and scanned for differences between versions. The WiX toolkit also includes command line compilers, enabling you to build release packages using automated scripts or tools, such as FinalBuilder, Make, Ant, NAnt, among many others.
- Install files, create shortcuts, register your application – Using WiXAware’s visual designers, rapidly prototype your install package, and describe the full installed state of your software:
- Files, folders, shortcuts.
- INI file sections, keys, values.
- Registry keys, values, defaults.
- System and environment variables.
- ODBC drivers, data sources, translators.
- Assemblies (.NET and Win32 side-by-side).
- Services, as well as service control operations.
- File associations, new MIME types, application paths.
- COM resources, ActiveX controls, type libraries, ProgIDs.
- Remember, WiXAware creates the underlying XML code for your setup automatically as you visually configure your installation package. You can always swap to the XML editor and directly manipulate the WiX code at any time, and even switch back to the visual designers to see your latest edits displayed visually.
- Its also very easy to add pre-built setup modules your installation. Simply select any merge module to add to your setup project – and all the files and logic contained inside the merge module instantly become part of your solution.
- Search for technology runtimes, applications, other settings:
- Does your application require technology runtimes? Simply define an application search for them and WiXAware will make sure they are available on the end-user system before beginning installation.
- You may also search for any arbitrary application, file, folder, registry keys/values, and INI file keys. With the search feature, installing extensions and plugins for existing applications is easy.
- Modularize your application into features and components:
- WiXAware organizes your setup for you into standard Windows Installer Features and Components. Therefore, with no effort on your part whatsoever, advanced software installer features such as partial install and repair are available to you, fully leveraging the capabilities of the Windows Installer installation system.
- Digitally sign your packages, customize media layout:
- Since Windows XP Service Pack 2, and especially with the release of Vista, end-users are strongly discouraged against running setup packages without digital signatures. WiXAware signs the MSI packages you create, making sure you make a positive and trust inspiring first impression with your customers.
- WiXAware also offers custom media layouts. You may put everything inside a single MSI file, choose the strength of compression for your CAB files, define multiple volumes, or leave everything in a flat folder structure. For even better compression in your setup packages (as much as 50%), try Setup Squeezer.
- Easily author Custom Actions to extend your setup
- WiXAware provides a friendly Custom Action Wizard which guides you step-by-step through the difficult process of adding custom actions to your setup. Just follow the wizard and you’ll be able to run your EXE, DLL, or custom scripts from your software installer.
- WiX dialog editor for a custom installation user interface:
- WiXAware is the only IDE to offer a fully visual dialog designer with automatic WiX code generation. Whether you have existing XML code for your dialogs, or will be using the provided templates, the WiXAware dialog designer lets you edits your dialogs visually: complete with selectable objects, a rich component palette for adding new controls, and the ability to edit properties of all dialog elements (along with their interactions).